With over 500 pubs within the County of Worcestershire, there are a lot of signs to choose from, so we need you to nominate your favourite pub signs. The competition is being sponsored by Bewdley Brewery who will be donating a case of their beer to whoever submits the winning entry and the winning pub will receive the kudos of having the Best Pub Sign In Worcestershire.
Everyone will have their own idea of what makes a good pub sign but some things you might want to consider are:
• How attractive it is and whether it is enticing and inviting?
• Does it relate to the pub and location?
• Perhaps it’s funny or has some historical significance.
How do you enter?
To submit your suggestions, fill in the form with your details below, upload the photos and add any reasons why you like it.
Pub signs have long been a feature of pubs in this country, dating back to the Romans who would hang vine leaves or shrubs outside their “tabernae” (thought to be the origin of The Bush as a pub name).
In 1393, as many people couldn’t read or write, pub signs became compulsory to identify them to the official Ale Taster. Since then both pub names and pub signs have reflected the changes to British life from wars, the Reformation and the Industrial Revolution all the way through to the present day.
We’d like you to send in photos of your favourite pub signs.
We will have a team of judges to go through all the entries and decide upon a winner.
Anyone over the age of 18 can enter, including customers and landlords, and you can submit as many entries as you like.
The person who submits the winning entry will get a case of beer from Bewdley Brewery and the winning pub will get an “e-certificate” for use on socials, websites etc.
The winner and a selection of the other entries will be included in the Autumn edition of Pint Taken published on 1st September 2024.
Get snapping and send in your entries.
The deadline for submissions is Monday 22nd July 2024.
RULES FOR PUB SIGN PHOTO COMPETITION
- Entrants need to be over the age of 18.
- The competition closes at 10am on Monday 5th August 2024. Entries received after this date will not be considered. Unsuccessful entrants will not be contacted and no feedback on any entry will be provided.
- The prize for the overall winner will be a voucher for 12 bottles of beer kindly donated by Bewdley Brewery.
- Entrants will retain copyright in the photographs that they submit. By entering the competition all entrants grant to CAMRA the right to publish and exhibit their photographs in print, on their respective websites or in any other media in perpetuity. No fees will be payable for any of the above uses.
- CAMRA reserves the right to cancel this competition or alter any of the rules at any stage if deemed necessary in its opinion, and if circumstances arise outside of its control.
- If the winner is unable to be contacted after reasonable attempts have been made, CAMRA reserves the right to either offer the prize to a runner-up, or to re-offer the prize in any future competition.
- We will let the winning pub know they have won the competition and they will be sent an e-certificate that they can use on their website and on social media.
- In the event of more than one person submitting an entry for the winning pub sign, the judges will decide on a winner from the photo supplied.